“… at first, the DPLA’s offering will be limited to a rich variety of collections — books, manuscripts, and works of art — that have already been digitized in cultural institutions throughout the country. Around this core it will grow, gradually accumulating material of all kinds until it will function as a national digital library.” – Robert Darnton, Harvard University Librarian and history professor
At noon today, the Digital Public Library of America will go live with more than two million objects — including digital renderings of photos, books, manuscripts and other items from places such as the Smithsonian Institution, along with museums, libraries and historical institutions around the country.
The project began as an initiative at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard, and was funded by foundations including the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Content partners to date include the University of Virginia Library, the Biodiversity Heritage Library, the Smithsonian Institution, Harvard Library Special Collections, The New York Public Library, ArtSTOR, and the National Archives.
Perhaps we should start a new Kresge blog category, … “Not_Science_But_Awesome.”
Note: Though Monday’s tragic event at the Boston Marathon have resulted in the postponement of the public launch event that was to have been held at the Boston Public Library, the site will go live at noon as planned.
- “Book News: Vast ‘Digital Public Library Of America’ Opens Today : NPR.” NPR.org. Accessed April 18, 2013. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/18/177727014/book-news-vast-digital-public-library-of-america-launches.
- Darnton, Robert. “The National Digital Public Library Is Launched!” The New York Review of Books, April 25, 2013. http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/apr/25/national-digital-public-library-launched/.
- Digital Public Library of America | Berkman Center.” Accessed April 18, 2013. http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/dpla#.
- Howard, Jennifer. “With New Leader, Digital Public Library of America Prepares for Its Debut.” The Chronicle of Higher Education. The Wired Campus, March 5, 2013. http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/with-new-leader-digital-public-library-of-america-prepares-for-its-debut/42691.
- “Digital Public Library of America.” Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia, April 17, 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Digital_Public_Library_of_America&oldid=550890564.
- “Digitizing Knowledge | News | The Harvard Crimson.” Accessed April 18, 2013. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/5/26/library-books-google-dpla/.
- “The Library of Utopia | MIT Technology Review.” MIT Technology Review. Accessed April 18, 2013. http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/427628/the-library-of-utopia/.